Raja Harishchandra was the first film released in India in 1913. Since then till 2022 lakhs of films have been produced in India in 110 years including Hindi, Bengali, Telugu, Tamil, Kannada, Malayalam, Konkani, Bhojpuri, Maithili, Assamese, Punjabi, Kashmiri, Garhwali, Haryanvi , Gujarati, Rajasthani and many other languages films are included.
The Hindi film Kismat, released in 1943, was the first Indian film to do business of Rs 1 crore at the box office. After that the development of films never looked back. And then over a period of time, films collecting 10 crores, 100 crores, 500 crores started being made. In the year 2016, Aamir Khan starrer Dangal became the first Indian film to do business of more than 1000 crores. Shah Rukh Khan is the only one actor which 2 movies did collection of more than Rs. 1000 Crore in a single year.
Since then only 6 Indian films have been made to do more than 1000 crores business which are as follows –
- Dangal (2016, Hindi) (Director – Nitesh Tiwari, Star Cast – Aamir Khan, Fatima Sana Shaikh, Zaira Wasim, Sanya Malhotra, Suhani Bhatnagar, Sakshi Tanwar, Girish Kulkarni, etc.) – Rs. 2,209 Crore (Rs. 22.09 Billion)
- Bahubali 2 (2017, Telugu) (Director – SS Rajamouli, Star Cast – Prabhas, Anushka Shetty, Sathyaraj, Tammana, Rana Dugabatti, Ramya Krishnan, etc) – Rs. 1,810 Crore (Rs. 18.1 Billion)
- RRR (2022, Telugu) (Director – SS Rajamouli, Star Cast – NTR Junior, Ramcharan, Ajay Devgan, Alia Bhatt) – Rs. 1,258 Crore (Rs. 12.58 Billion)
- KGF: Chapter 2 (2022, Kannada) (Dirctor – Parasanath Neel, Star Cast – Yash, Sanjay Dutt, Raveena Tondon, Prakash Raj) – Rs. 1,250 Crore (Rs 12.50 Billion)
- Jawan (2023, Hindi) (Director – Atlee Kumar, Star Cast – Shah Rukh Khan, Vijay Sethupthi, Nayanthara, Deepika Padukone) – Rs. 1,148 Crore (Rs. 11.48 Billion)
- Pathaan (2023, Hindi) (Director – Siddharth Anand, Star Cast – Shah Rukh Khan, John Abraham, Dipika Padukone) – Rs. 1,050.40 Crore (Rs. 10.50 Billion)